Saturday, January 29, 2011

Light. . . . . Box?

To begin this semester, we were given an assignment that would help us to think more about space than just about individual objects.  In order to achieve this we were told to create a 12x12x18in box and to divide the light inside of it into FOUR SPACES. Now, this is somewhat ambiguous, as are all of the instructions we get, but the time had come to ride to the occasion .

Beginning this project I just knew what I wanted to do, and I knew it was going to be great. I started off making my box out of cardboard to get into it, then I drew up an intense, abstract design and cut it out. BAM! It was greatness. However, once I finishes and looked at it, "knew" turn in to "wan't so sure about" and "greatness" turned into "just no".  That was no big deal though, for a first attempt I liked it and after further examination I realized that I wanted to keep some of the properties of this initial box and bring it along with me for the ride.

Next I decided to just keep experimenting on this box because I didn't truly know what it was that I was looking for. I made a random cut on the side and shined light through it at all different angles and used different light as well, but I wasn't really feeling this so I decided not to go with it.  What I did learn from this though is that I rather enjoyed the way that it looked when I moved the light around so I kept this in mind to call back upon later on during the duration of this project.

After this I decided to go into more of a corner approach. I did not cut something out of one of the corners though, which seemed to be a logical conclusion for the box, but instead I cut off the corners in the back of the box.  I really enjoyed the way that the light shined through on this one. it was magnificent. I just knew I had to keep it. Unfortunately I had not yet reached FOUR SPACES though and I had to add on something else to the box to give it more of a completeness. In order to achieve this I came to the conclusion the I could add a rectangular cut out to the top that was center left to right but off center front to back. That was a keeper as well and it was time to further develop the box in the next stage

Once I had figured out my four spaces it was time to either add SKEWERS or BRISTOL BOARD in order to bring those spaces to life and give them more of a three dimensional feel to them.  Instead of doing this on my box that had been bruised, battered, and abused, I decided to remake my final box and do everything on there. With this I learned the definition of HELL. I made my final box out of a different material which in turn made the light that shinned through different. After a long period of frustration, I came to the conclusion that it was best to incorporate the two boxes both into to final one. Parts of it were made out of foam board and parts out of cardboard. Stress Relieved. Once I did this it was easy for me to decide that I wanted to use black metal skewers as opposed to bamboo skewers or bristol board, and also where I wanted to place them.

Lastly I had to make a scale figure. I have come to realize that making a decision on this when you are in a state of delirium is probably not the best decision for me. It is almost inevitable for my state of being to shine through in this figure, and it definitely did happen. My scale figure ended up looking like a dancing cartoon person that was pole dancing.  Probablyyyyyy not the best thing to complete my project, so the scale figure definitely had to be upgraded at a later date in time.




In the final box I decided to also change the positioning of my light. I enjoyed the way that it looks it the front and in the back so in order to use both I decided that the building would be an east/west facing building so that these two positions, as well as the positions in between would all be seen. 


FINAL LIGHT BOX



position one

position two

position three

position four

position five




No comments:

Post a Comment